, Jayapura - The shootings in Puncak Jaya district, Papua, which resulted in the death of a member of the Indonesian National Army (TNI) a few days ago received criticism from various parties. It is also a nightmare for the United Liberation Movement for West Papua (ULMWP), as a liberation organization for West Papua's independence from the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia (NKRI). Due to incidents of human rights violations, ULMWP threatened to cancel in Melanesian Spearhead Group (MSG), as well as loss of support from countries that are members of MSG.

The struggle of the West Papua liberation organization led by Benny Wenda stands on December 7, 2014 in Vanuatu, a small island nation in the southern Pacific Ocean. The establishment of ULMWP brings together the Federal Republic of West Papua (NRFPB), the National Coalition for the Liberation of West Papua (WPNCL) and the National Parliament of West Papua (NPWP).

The mode of movement of this organization is to look for the mistakes of the Republic of Indonesia through alleged violations of Human Rights by the TNI in West Papua. And with the killing of a TNI member in Pasar Sinak, Papua, backfires for the efforts of Benny Wenda and his friends for independence.

Benny Wenda did condemn the killings committed by the Free Papua Movement (OPM) army, but it was done simply because it could not hide the disappointment of being threatened to fail to enter MSG for independence, as well as to break away from NKRI.

"The shooting incident, making support for ULMWP into MSG membership reduced and no support from all countries that follow the meeting in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea," said Benny.

The killing of TNI personnel conducted by the OPM in Pasar Sinak, Puncak, Papua, will certainly make countries that have been shouting about human rights violations from Indonesia to the people of Papua got embarrassed.

Especially for a meeting conducted by ULMWP led by Benny Wenda in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, it seems that the move no longer gets sympathy from countries that previously supported West Papua's independence.

"This incident (the killing of TNI members) is not commendable and makes ULMWP not included in the membership of MSG," said Benny annoyed.

Murder Against TNI Members By the Tenui OPM Group

Previously reported, 4 (four) members of the Indonesian National Army (TNI) who served in Sinak District, Puncak, Papua, were attacked by the Civilian Criminal Group (KSB) or known as the Free Papua Organization (OPM). The attack resulted in one member of the TNI killed hit in the head, after his handgun was seized by OPM.

The incident took place when members of the Indonesian military were spending the daily needs of guard posts at Pasar Sinak, Puncak, Monday (12/2/2018) morning, at around 10:00 WIT.

The incident was confirmed by the Head of Information of the Military Regional Command (Kapendam) XVII / Cenderawasih, Colonel Inf Muhammad Aidi told reporters on Monday (12/2/2018).

Chronology the Fall of TNI Personnel

As Aidi said, the incident started when four members of the TNI were in Pasar Sinak for the needs of the guard post. Suddenly, in the crowd, 5 (five) OPM members from the Tenius Group attacked TNI members with machetes and pistols.

At that time, Soldier one (Pratu) SN was separated somewhat away from his companion. The panic of citizens in the middle of the market due to gunfire accompanied by shouting members of the OPM made him lose concentration to find fellow colleagues as well as address the causes of chaos.

A bullet was lodged in the left side of the head, and the gun in his hand was seized by OPM Tenius.

"After successfully seizing the Pratu SN gun, the armed group fled towards Akenggeng Village Sinak District," said Aidi.

Meanwhile, another soldier who was at the Sinak custody post was shocked to hear the shooting. Under the leadership of 1st Lieutenant (Lettu) Inf Iqbal, a fully armed team immediately drove to the location. Got info perpetrators ran towards the village of Akenggeng, troops immediately pursued.

But have not had time to enter the forest, hunter team has been fired from the forest and on the hill. The troops then formed a defensive formation while doing counter-fire. The gun contact lasted long enough.

The body of Pratu SN has been evacuated from the scene, and the next process in handling the TNI.

With the incident, especially ahead of elections in 2018, OPM seems to be making a lot of chaos in Papua. Prior to this incident, the Indonesian government briefly deployed the Special Forces of the TNI (Kopassus) to expel the OPM, which at that time took hundreds of civilians hostage in Kimbely and Banti Village, Papua, by the end of 2017. Two OPM personnel were killed in the raid, and hundreds of hostages were rescued.


Translated by : adhe